twitter and link

Follow my transportation/infrastructure Twitter feed at PCNTransit, and my transportation blog at Better Institutions

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The root of my disagreement with conservatives: lack of nuance in their worldview

This is a really great article by Matthew Yglesias.

It does a good job of describing how I feel about the way many conservatives think without being really offensive to anyone. I tend to take a very nuanced view of most issues (or aspire to, at least), and when I'm arguing with conservatives they tend to stick to a few key points and all the complexity gets tossed aside. 

But we live in a world with 7 billion people, and a country with 300 million. There are so many issues to address and focusing on one is certain to have downstream effects on many others, some foreseen, some not. Technology rapidly changes the way we perceive and experience the world. And so on. 

The world is not a black and white place, and when we treat it as such our policies end up failing a great many people, whether it's intentional or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment